What Bike would you buy?

HAPPY HALLOWEEN!

Even though I ask if $$ was no issue, is weight? Height an issue? Vote for the most realistic bike if you had the money…. :-)

**Should have added the KTM 990 so if you choose that bike or the Multistrada and Moto Guzzi vote other and if you can leave a comment which other bike.

2012 BMW F650GS Sun Yellow
2012 BMW F800GS
2012 Triumph Tiger 800XC
2012 Triumph Tiger Explorer
2012 BMW R1200GS
2012 Yamaha Super Tenere
2012 Honda Crosstourer

Feel free to answer and comment as to why you would buy the bike you picked.  If you choose other also feel free to reveal the other bike you would buy and why.  I am curious to see how this poll turns out.  Comments will help all of us understand decisions being made and maybe add what you ride now.

27 thoughts on “What Bike would you buy?

1. Jeff October 29, 2011 / 6:54 PM

I already have the Tiger 800. So I’d get the Super Ten

2. DJ October 29, 2011 / 6:57 PM

Moto Guzzi Stelvio!

• advgrrls October 29, 2011 / 6:59 PM

I had a feeling I should have included to the Moto Guzzi and Multistrada…OK so they can be others.

3. Doug Mullett October 29, 2011 / 7:05 PM

I’d actually like to get some ideas on the bike I would like, because I’m not too aware of what is available.
    I’m looking for a road/dirt bike capable of handling almost any type of surface – but can idle in first gear at about walking pace, so it can do the work if the going gets too tough or slow for me to stay on. It should have a reasonable fuel capacity (preferably over 18 litres). It also has to take a pillion and some luggage at the same time. The seat has to be able to be set low enough for me (165 cm, IL 83 cm) to be able to steady the bike and not be leaning on one set of toes. It can’t be too heavy as it will travel on the back of a motorhome. It must be capable of cruising long distances on bitumen and shorter distances on gravel or dirt. It will otherwise do shopping and commuting duties while I’m in the motorhome.

• advgrrls October 29, 2011 / 8:59 PM

I think you are describing the Tiger 800 roadie or XC.

4. advgrrls October 29, 2011 / 7:10 PM

we have a vote for the Multistrada Pikes Peak edition

5. RichardM October 29, 2011 / 8:09 PM

I am still partial to bikes that don’t have a liquid cooling system. It just seems to be one more thing to fail. I suspect that all of these have multiple computers on board and even though they add to the drivability and safety, but I see their existence is a compromise…

• advgrrls October 29, 2011 / 8:11 PM

complicates doing your own servicing on the road in remote areas that is for sure…good point.

• DJ October 30, 2011 / 11:31 AM

All the more reason for the Guzzi! Simple air cooled design and easy as heck to maintain. Just not much of a dealer network but that is not so bad near Seattle as 3 dealers in a days ride.

6. Hans October 29, 2011 / 9:54 PM

1st vote: BMW R1200 GS. Very smooth and powerful engine, awesome balance and very easy to lean to extreme angles. Surefooted and confidence-inspiring except on loose surfaces. Minuses: tall, heavy and air-oil cooled with a clear plastic window installed in the carter to check the oil level

• advgrrls October 29, 2011 / 10:00 PM

Perfect Hans….that is a good response to help others who are really trying to figure out what they are going to buy for themselves. Every perspective is helpful.

7. Hans October 29, 2011 / 10:07 PM

…(finishing the previous post about the minuses of the BMW 1200) and this window starts to degrade after about 10 minutes of idling the engine with the motorcycle stopped, risking the loss of engine’s oil. Serious design flaw. Also, the gearbox is somewhat clunky.

2nd vote was for the Tiger Explorer. Looks as comfortable as the BMW 1200 GS with a lovely triple. The sorting of the fueling as well as the control of the driveshaft torque remains to be seen.

• bobz October 30, 2011 / 10:02 AM

fwiw I had the clear oil check window on my 96 R1100rt..90k mile and 11 years …still ok when I sold it.

• advgrrls October 30, 2011 / 11:19 AM

it’s worth hearing LOL

8. CJ October 29, 2011 / 10:09 PM

I have a 2010 1200GS. I love it & would say it’s the best bike on the list, but if money’s no object it’s gotta be the Multistrada Pikes Peak edition.

• advgrrls October 29, 2011 / 10:09 PM

is the Multi more $$?

• CJ October 30, 2011 / 8:18 AM

For the Pike’s Peak model with all of the carbon fiber goodies it is. My issue with the Multistrada (and in particular the tricked out Pike’s Peak model) is because money is an issue and the bike is just too nice to beat on, or rack up obscene miles on. I’d cry every time I got a nick in it. Interestingly, the MTS (the highest powered bike on my shopping list…Tiger 800/Tiger 1050/MTS/1200GS/KTM SMT) was actually the lowest insurance. My GS, on the other hand, was the highest insurance (not by much) but I ended up with it because I found a barely used one for a really good price. I really wanted to like the Tiger 800’s but thought they threw off too much heat, particularly on the right side. Having tested the Tiger’s, MTS, GS, and having come off a Wee Strom I knew I preferred a 19″ front wheel for the type of riding I do. I just didn’t dig the road handling of aggressive riding on a 21″ front and the 17″ front didn’t give me what I wanted for bad road/off road handling. The new Tiger Explorer looks promising and is hopefully a better package than the Super Ten (which is a pig in my opinion). I’m really puzzled by some of the recent Honda’s and can’t figure out WTF Honda is doing any more. All in all, I love my 1200GS. It’s the total package.

• advgrrls October 30, 2011 / 9:14 AM

Love your thoughts on this topic.

9. bobz October 30, 2011 / 7:40 AM

Since BMW started the GS look ..and invented that market, there are now a lot of copies…which have been mentioned.
    It seems to me the “GS” market is now segmenting again.
    The GS look but really 95% on road…ie the Stelvio, the Multistrada and the Honda
    The heavy weights..90% road and 10%dirt road…the BWM 1200 GS, 1200 Tiger, the Yamaha Teniere, and the V Strom
    The heavy weights with just a bit more dirt emphasis the BMW 1200GSA, maybe the 1200 Tiger the KTM 990
    The light heavy weights: F800GS, the Tiger, the VSTrom….The bmw F650 and the Tiger have models that are more road biased within this class.

It seem to me the real Adventure touring bikes are the KLR 650, the Suzuki DR. etc. They can do endless paved road (but with some discomfort) are are really quite good on real off road.
    They can to twisted paved roads quite well 7 or 8 10ths riding.

• advgrrls October 30, 2011 / 9:13 AM

The KLR and DRZ’s seem to be quite popular on the road probably because they are easier to maintain when you are away from help. But for your primary bike to ride every day I am not sure they would meet the comfy criteria for most….

10. AlanI October 30, 2011 / 11:45 AM

Well, as I could be considered to be financially comfortable, the question of what bike would I like to have if $$ wasn’t an issue doesn’t really enter into the equation. Therefore I’ve entered the poll more from the point of ‘what bike would I like to have if, weight and height (amongst others) wasn’t an issue’. My vote has been cast for the Triumph Tiger Explorer for the simple reason that I have a soft spot for Triumph (always have had) and believe that the historical name alone will be enough to ensure that BMW now have to up their game somewhat against this new and serious competitor. I’m also of the firm opinion that Triumphs QC is a lot better than BMW’s at this time despite early teething problems that are to be expected but of course in regard to this, only time will tell.

• advgrrls October 30, 2011 / 11:58 AM

i am surprised you voted the Explorer but like your reasoning….interesting

11. Bob Hayes October 30, 2011 / 2:32 PM

I HAVE RESEARCH AT LENGTH RIDERS IN BOTH THE aDVENTURE fORUM AND hORIZON uNLIMITED fORUM AND CONCLUDED THAT the best bang for your buck with all the bells and whistles is the Suzuki 650 VStrom ABS……….it appears to have the least problems of all riders I have followed from Alaska to Argentina.

• advgrrls October 30, 2011 / 2:41 PM

problem is it does not look so hot… ;-) I have always thought the V Strom was a bike that was cheap but you get a lot but never saw myself riding one…maybe I am a snob?

12. Steve October 30, 2011 / 11:03 PM

I’ve been trying to decide for the last 10 months between the Tiger 800XC and the Super Tenere and have found it to be an impossible decision. From all the research I’ve done owners of the Yamaha absolutely love it. Some people who look at this bike complain that you can’t switch off the ABS, but don’t realise that it is far superior to BMWs ABS and actually works very effectively offroad aswell as on so doesn’t need to be switched off. From what I’ve read the Yamaha is far more reliable than the GS and quite a bit less expensive too. The main thing I like about the 800XC is the engine, especially with the Arrow exhaust system, it sounds just like a rally car. But, the Yamaha has a better braking system, tubless tyres, shaft drive, better panniers, better wind protection and after sitting on both I can say they actually feel the same weight even though the Yamaha is quite a lot heavier in reality. Looking on YouTube, the Yamaha is very capable offroad too. Will have to take both for a test ride before the final decision is made.

• advgrrls October 31, 2011 / 2:13 AM

Sounds like you have made your decision. Yamaha. ;)