Bald Eagle Heaven – Harrison Mills, BC

When not out riding my other love, other than my partner and dogs is wildlife.  Bald Eagles especially.  If you have been following this BLOG you will know this about me…Leslie.

Every year between November and early January Bald Eagles show up along the Fraser River in and around Harrison Mills, BC located about an hour East of where we live in Maple Ridge.  The reason thousands of eagles and many other birds like it here is because of the abundant amount of salmon.  The Chelahlis Flats is an important wildlife and fish habitat.  Spawning salmon arrive in the Fall and the Eagles have feast eating the carcass’ of the dead fish.  David Hancock, a Biologist studies this area and has a love and passion for eagles.  I know David and he recently was quoted saying that we might have the largest concentration of eagles in one area in the world.  Even more than Alaska now.  This years count has been over 7,000 eagles.

When I was out today I probably saw a  thousand within about a 1 mile radius.  So many you find yourself just twirling around in circles as they fly over your head and land on the sand dunes in the river.  I took 2 of my dogs with me today while Cheryl went Christmas shopping.  It was about 3 degrees Celsius out with a wicked wind down by the water.  I also got showered with eagle  poop…hope it is good luck.  ;-)

Here are some of the pics I took today on my eagle outing.  It is always a treat to not get out this way each year but to have a beautiful sunny and cold day to eagle watch is a bonus.  Just going to post pics with captions….most of the Eagles were quite a ways out in the river…

Juvenile Eagle with a Salmon
what's left of the salmon
Eagles usually do not hang out with one another
The hang in groups because there is enough food for all
eagles Mate for life
Eagles will only seek a new mate if something happens to their partner
wing span can be up to 7 ft
beautiful and graceful
Females are larger than males
Not unusal for an Eagle to fly 250 miles in one day
Sandpiper Gold Course great viewing area
Younger eagles also known as Juvies wait their turn
View from the golf course
The flats are surrounded by mountains
This is why they call us Beautiful BC
Eagles love to fly in thermals
Adults get their white head and tail at about 5 years of age

this guy was posing for me
Nice little bridge that takes you to the 8th hole
streams cut through the gold course leading to the Fraser River
Sandpiper has cottages and restaurants too
Water was low today
Nothing left but bones, this is why the eagles are here
keeping an eagle eye out
Some sub adults do not know how to hunt yet, this is like free food
there are groups of many eagles like this all over
Cedar logs are sent down the river for sorting and to mills
lovely
crisp cool day
in flight
Juvie
Majestic and this one is sleeping, notice the eye
An eagles feathers are not waterproof like an Osprey
I think this was a pair
Eagle poop on my camera
the eagles were on the move today probably cause it was nice out
Many adults around
I did not see many a live salmon in the river
Another majestic bird if the Trumpeter Swan
When an eagle flies over your head you can actually hear their wings cutting the wind
Seagulls, Swans, Crows and Eagles
More groups
golf course
more in flight
We have had a dry December so far and cold
Gorgeous golf course
more views
not a lot of snow yet

Sometimes I have seen about 30 or more flying together

Had a quick bite at this pub…a well known biker hang out in the summer…bit of a dump..

On my way home
Trumpeter Swans mate for life too
another graceful bird
That's it!

Great day, hours of viewing pleasure and because it was a Monday hardly anyone else out there.  I almost had the Eagles to myself.  Priceless.

Almost forgot, I was walking under an evergreen and almost got a direct hit with an eagle poop shoot but manage to only get somewhat hit…got the hair, jacket and camera but could have been a lot worse.  ;-)

eagle crap
could have been worse eh?

13 thoughts on “Bald Eagle Heaven – Harrison Mills, BC

1. Second chance December 13, 2011 / 6:34 PM

Great pictures. I really enjoy the pictures of the eagles.

• advgrrls December 13, 2011 / 7:14 PM

thanks for commenting on this post…nice to know someone in this motorcycle BLOG world appreciates the wild. ;-)

• Deb December 21, 2011 / 1:55 AM

I stumbled on this delightful photo display, I am from Surrey and want to go out and photograph them too sometime this week. Beautiful!

• advgrrls December 21, 2011 / 4:48 AM

bring a good zoom and enjoy…they won’t be there for too much longer….thanks for stopping by

2. Luckies December 13, 2011 / 11:12 PM

I hope you will show us the eagles someday. ;)

3. Hans T December 14, 2011 / 7:54 AM

Awesome birds and very nice pictures. We have a milder climate but you sure have some very nice compensations. Thank you for sharing.

• advgrrls December 14, 2011 / 8:06 AM

yep..we have Eagles…when i lived in NY never saw a Bald Eagle until I moved here. Makes even better!

4. Liz December 15, 2011 / 6:16 PM

Great captures of the Canadian Bald Eagles….young and old. The Harrison is on of the great places in the country to view Eagles. Thanks for posting your beautiful pictures.

5. Ted Swaine December 17, 2011 / 2:27 PM

The bridge in one of your photo’s leads to the 15th Tee @ the Sandpiper Golf Resort not the 8th tee & the Bed & Breakfast is call Rowena’s Inn On the River just incase anyone was wondering. The restaurant is called the Rivers Edge & has a great selection of casual west coast menu items & uses mostly local ingredients…it is a fantastic place to have a soup & sandwich when in the Harrison Mills area! Also if you check in @ the Sandpiper Golf Course Pro Shop they will give you a complementary map of the walking trails that lead you through the golf course & trees to the shores of the Harrison River for great viewing & picture opportunities! Other that that I really enjoyed your photos & being a local resident I am glad that you enjoyed your time in the Mills! Merry Christmas & Happy New Year!

• advgrrls December 17, 2011 / 4:06 PM

Great factual info….I go out there ever year…most times I try to take the Fraser River Safari boat tour but not meant to be this year…The resort is also romantic…you forgot that! ;-) Thanks for stopping by..how did you find this BLOG? Leslie

• Ted Swaine December 17, 2011 / 5:00 PM

Just doing a Google seach on Bald Eagles in the Harrison area & stubbled across it…great Blog Happy posting & if you enjoy cooking here’s a great blog http://woodsidekitchen.blogspot.com/
        that my wife does :)

PS your right this place is very romantic!

6. advgrrls December 17, 2011 / 5:05 PM

nice blog…nice place you live..beautiful out there…we ride all the time in the area on and off road…well, thanks for stopping by and finding us on Google…today is a very busy day on this Blog…over 2500 hits…love this stuff. :-)