First Look: 2012 Honda NC700X

Just not sure what to make of what Honda is doing over there….this bike looks a bit like a Multistrada but like the article says what will folks use this bike for?  We are always looking for that one bike to do it all…we don’t have the $$ or the garage space to by different bikes for different occasions.  This one is not an option for us but for who?  I am not sure….maybe commuters?

It’s difficult to figure out from looking at the new 2012 Honda NC700X exactly what it will be used for. A beginner bike for someone moving up to a motorcycle from a scooter, or a cool way for someone to get back into motorcycling. The perfect commuter? A tamed-down adventure bike?

It might just be a bit of everything. Or what you decide to make of it.

The NC700X is the second bike powered by Honda’s new 670cc liquid-cooled parallel twin – the same engine that powers Honda’s Integra scooter. Although branding on the bike says 700cc, the engine is a long-stroke 73mm x 80mm, giving it the 670cc. The twin leans forward at 62 degrees allowing the 36mm throttle body to sit nearly vertical, Honda says. The powerplant also has an engine balancer to keep vibration to a minimum.

The bike will be available in two versions – the standard NC700X and the NC700X with Honda’s Dual Clutch Transmission and a Combined Antilock Braking System.

The standard version features your normal six-speed tranny while the DCT/ABS version uses a second-generation, automatic six-speed Honda Dual Clutch Transmission that uses two hydraulically controlled clutches for easy shifting in three modes – manual (MT), which allows the rider to shift gears using buttons; and two automatic modes – S for sport riding and D for every day use.

Europeans who have already ridden the bike report that it produces good torque but that it maxes out at 6500 rpm. The bike is designed for fuel economy and the numbers from the European intro are solid – 65 mpg. The bike’s fuel tank holds 3.7 gallons and Honda claims it will go 240 miles on a tank.

The fuel tank is located under the seat, designed to give the bike a low center of gravity and a lighter feel. It also gets 21 liters of storage area where the gas tank normally sits – enough for a helmet, according to Honda.

The 670cc powerplant sits in a diamond-shaped steel frame and the bike gets a 41mm fork that provides six inches of travel. In the rear, a Pro-Link rear suspension has 5.9 inches of travel.

The standard model weighs 472 pounds wet with the DCT/ABS version leaving the scales at 505 pounds.

Honda will offer plenty of accessories for the new NC700X, including a 45-liter rear trunk, 29-liter saddlebags, a windscreen, rear carrier, heated grips, centerstand and more. Honda says the new model will start at $6999 and will hit dealerships this summer.

6 thoughts on “First Look: 2012 Honda NC700X

1. John Allen January 21, 2012 / 9:23 AM

If the service intervals are 8k miles and there is no silly 16k mile service I would be tempted to get one as a commuter. It would be fine on the motorway and excellent in Town I suspect. Much like my Tiger 800 was but with much better fuel economy.

I sat on one at the local dealer and it was much nicer than I expected. Will take one out for a test ride soon I think.

• advgrrls January 21, 2012 / 9:27 AM

Yeah if we could even though our Beemers get great fuel economy we would maybe think about a commuter bike but then again if we were to EVER get 2 more bikes other than an ADV one it would probably be dirt bikes. ;-)

2. twotiretirade January 21, 2012 / 6:23 PM

If motorcycling was just about practicability, functionality, and efficiency then I believe this cycle would be the B in The Bomb. In many ways the rest of the world has it right. The rest of the world uses a cycle as a tool which helps them survive. We Americans will often use cycles as toys and or play things. Now there is nothing wrong with using cycles for the purpose of enjoyment but there is so much more to their function then just that. I have great respect for Honda and often miss my old shadow.

• advgrrls January 21, 2012 / 6:29 PM

We saw this bike in person today….neat storage compartment in the faux tank. Not bad looking and you right…we over consume and probably have too many toys.

3. Nate February 3, 2012 / 12:55 PM

I know there are some people out there that just don’t get this bike. I look at this bike and think what a great way to get my wife over the hurdle she has of shifting gears . She has this fear that I respect 100%. Its that she feels that while shifting gears she can’t give the dangerous surroundings enough attention.
    What do you think about this bike for light duty DS potential ?? It wouldn’t get used like the tigers on your Alaska adventure , which by the why ” congratulations” on your epic journey !! Thank you for inspiring me to take it to the next level !!!!

• advgrrls February 3, 2012 / 1:19 PM

I think this would be a great intro bike for your wife to be honest. It’s like a scooter on a tiny bit of steriods. Good storage space with the need for luggage and once she gets on the bike and rides who knows, maybe she will gain the confidence to go on an ADV trip. If you have a bike has she tried the clutch? I would also ask her just how does she feel on a bike in general. I mean does she feel scared to death or feel just “anxious” but in the bottom of her gut kind of likes it. I know grrls that thought they would love riding but once they got into a course their gut told them differently. Has she taken a course?