10 thoughts on “When did you first learn to ride and what was your first bike?

1. akrichardm June 23, 2012 / 10:57 AM

A few laps around and through a dirt field on a Honda Trail 70 when I was around 14 at a relatives farm.

First bike is my current BMW airhead, an ’83 R100RT . I remember looking at them when they were new…

• advgrrls June 23, 2012 / 11:17 AM

Honda Trails were cute little bikes but they had no SHOCKS! LOL

2. Hans June 23, 2012 / 8:27 PM

When I was 12, we “borrowed” a Yamaha DT 125 and learned to ride dealing with clutch, brakes and accelerator, besides turning without falling. We stopped until a friend washed out and the motorcycle crashed into the fence, opening a sizable hole in it. We were caught red-handed, but anyway learned how to ride.

First motorcycle was a 1973 Yamaha DT 175, last seen with a high-compression head and an expansion-chamber exhaust. Lots of torque and very noisy (the perfect street weapon for a teenager).

• advgrrls June 24, 2012 / 8:54 PM

great story…my brother and I used to ride on the State University campus by my parents house and one day we were chased by the campus cops. Needless to say I got home via my Kawasaki 100 he got brought home walking his little Yamaha 80. LOL

3. James Arnett June 23, 2012 / 8:27 PM

Honda Super 90 stripped for dirt. I was around 12 or 13, my brother and I bought it to use around our ranch.

Jim

• advgrrls June 24, 2012 / 8:54 PM

Ranch? You still have one?

4. Texas Rambler June 24, 2012 / 8:50 PM

Cushman Super Silver Eagle scooter was my first and I got hooked on two wheels ever since…

• advgrrls June 24, 2012 / 8:55 PM

scooter cool! I think about getting one for commuting but than I think naaaaaaa

• Texas Rambler June 24, 2012 / 8:59 PM

That was in 1968 on 1963 Eagle… Now I won’t ride anything but a Goldwing… Maybe convert it to a trike when I get too old and when I get really old maybe it will be back to a scooter… naaaa

5. advgrrls June 24, 2012 / 9:03 PM

No DS ADV in your future? ;-)