7 thoughts on “What Socks Do You Choose to Wear in the Winter?

1. RichardM December 19, 2013 / 9:09 AM

Similar. Gerbing jacket liner and gloves and SmartWool socks. And the regular riding gear. Good so far to -30C for short rides of 15 miles or less. One of these days I’ll try it at -40. I generally don’t feel inclined to ride long distances during the winter due to the uncertainty of a 30 year old bike hauling the sidecar.

• advgrrls December 20, 2013 / 6:42 AM

-30C???????????? OMG! -8C and we will call it quits usually

2. Doug December 19, 2013 / 1:36 PM

I haven’t had to worry about cold feet yet. I do have to worry about socks, as I can only wear wool or cotton, with a little elastine in them. Any artificial fibres (nylon, rayon, acrylic, polyester) and the skin just falls off my feet. The composition of the socks is a vital factor for me.

• advgrrls December 20, 2013 / 6:41 AM

would not want to see your skin fall off at all ;-)

3. Becsta December 20, 2013 / 2:56 AM

I have heated jacket liner, gloves & socks.

• advgrrls December 20, 2013 / 6:40 AM

simple and yet so warm thanks

4. George Vasilopoulos December 21, 2013 / 7:17 AM

I’ve discovered a preference for those expensive cotton motorbiking socks with the silver strands woven through… I don’t usually discuss intimate details in public forums/polite company but I am fortunate to have feet that never seem to sweat so the cotton works well for me in hot and cold weather, and the silver strands kill any would-be bacteria so the boots stay nice and fresh.

If I lived or travelled someplace where the weather drops much below freezing I would no doubt buy a range of heated gear but so far I’ve never had the need.