Will this new Japanese V-twin be adventure-touring’s best Open-class bargain?
Like what you see? We do, too. While we wait for Suzuki to announce a suggested retail price for its new-for-2014 V-Strom 1000 ABS, here are 10 reasons to be the first person on your block to put down a deposit on one.
1. Larger, more powerful engine: Redesigned, liquid-cooled, dohc 90-degree V-twin engine now displaces 1037cc and makes a claimed 99 horsepower at 8,000 rpm and 76 pound-feet of torque at 4,000 rpm, gains of 2.5 hp and 1.5 lb.-ft.
2. More smiles per gallon: Dual-throttle-valve EFI with 10-hole injectors and two iridium spark plugs per cylinder help engine meet Euro 3 emissions and deliver 16 percent better fuel economy.
3. Reduced buffeting: Windscreen is three-way adjustable for angle (standard, plus 7.5 and 15 degrees) and height (standard, plus 15mm and 30mm).
4. Better handling: New twin-spar aluminum frame is stiffer torsionally and 13 percent lighter than that of previous model. Kayaba inverted 43mm fork and shock are fully adjustable. Axles are 5mm (front) and 8mm (rear) larger in diameter. Claimed curb weight is 502 pounds, 18 less than previous model.
5. Improved rider and passenger comfort: Handlebar is 1.3 inches closer to the rider, footpegs are 0.6 in. farther back, and passenger footpeg position is 1.3 in. higher, moving the pegs forward 0.3 in.
6. Fresh design: Beak-like front-of-bike styling is vaguely reminiscent of 1988 DR750. Stacked dual-bulb headlight has an 18-percent-brighter high beam.
7. Traction control: Three-mode (1, 2, and Off) system monitors front and rear wheel speeds, as well as throttle, crank, and gear position, every four milliseconds to detect wheel spin and reduce engine output.
8. ABS: Radial-mount Tokico monoblock front-brake calipers pinch 310mm floating-mount dual discs. ABS monitors wheel speeds 50 times per rotation and matches stopping power to available traction. Bosch-designed control unit weighs just 2.3 lbs.
9. Available integrated three-piece luggage: Optional 35-liter top case and 26/29-liter saddlebags can be locked and unlocked with the ignition key, and removed without tools.
10. Wide range of accessories: hand guards, high and low seats, centerstand, heated grips, fog lamps, crashbars, aluminum and plastic skid plates, tank bag, aluminum chain guard, and LED turn signals.