Route Shaping Up – I want Go Now

Okay SET BACK…On December 22nd, 2014 I spoke to BMW USA about importing my bike…they made it sound so easy and I have been waiting for my letter of compliance.  Now, this morning I called BMW USA AND because it’s  a MOTORCYCLE AND NOT an AUTOMOBILE, I have to use an importer.  I was asked about this by a blog reader and I though I knew the way…he was correct…it’s not easy and I was misinformed.  It’s a bike and I AM FRUSTRATED.  They should have told me this back in December.  I have a call out to an importer to see how much this is going to cost me.  I have a feeling $1000.  UGH!  I am going to go on my trip anyway…worry about this crap later. 😉

2015 SOLO WINTER X COUNTRY EXCURSION

USA LAVENDER

USA, LI

WASHINGTON, DC

BC

BC

11 Comments

1. I know the feeling…I’m counting down to my trip in May…can’t wait! Good luck and have a wonderful trip!

2. diggertfu says:

I believe you’ll that the requirements will vary some from state to state. I believe you mentined that you’re not certain where you’ll finally settle in the U.S., so while on your trip you may want to check with the different possible state DMV’s for more specific info. You will have some grace period before final state registration will be needed. Best of luck and enjoy the adventure.

3. Chris32 says:

I can’t help with the bike requirements, but if you need a place to refresh in NC during your trip, get in touch. You’ll be passing less then a mile from my house in Durham. We never set up with AirBnB, but we have a really nice room should you need a warm room and a home cooked meal.

Chris32

4. Jimi Schroeder says:

Best wishes on your next ride. I was just going through your pics from the last one and wanted to thank you for the shot of the dunes in Westhampton Beach. I grew up there and haven’t been back in close to forty years. Tried last fall but bike issues in South Carolina. If you get close to Sarasota Fl. give a shout. Be safe.
    Jimi

5. Heike K. says:

Enjoy your ride! We’re north of Austin TX. Not exactly off I10. But if you decide to modify your route and need a place to stay, send an email.

6. Matt says:

Do was there any resolution on your import issues? I am potentially facing the same issue (importing 2006 BMW R1200GS to the USA from Canada) and am having a hard time of finding out if anyone has actually been able to do it. Did you ever get the letter from BMW NA? Or How much was the importer fees? Any info would be great.

• advgrrl says:

I will find out when I get to NY. My importer might not be such the importer. I am going to call him next eek to see where my paperwork is as well as the BMW letter of compliance. I do not have a good feeling about this but will post the end result.