Good Bye…

It’s been awhile since I have posted anything here.  I guess it’s because I have been frustrated.  Been sick since October, but really feels like I have been knocked out since my motorcycle accident back in Oct. 2015.  Seems my body doesn’t like the month of October.  I went through a thyroid storm.  Diagnosed with Graves Disease.  No big deal, millions get this right?  Well, of course it complicated my diabetes.  Sugars were through the roof for months.  Still are high and I am learning my insulin pump.  I have a dead right shoulder.  Waiting for a MRI to see if I have a tear or “just” a frozen shoulder.  My eyes have been puffy for over a month, creating blurred vision at times.  No diagnosis yet and I have seen many specialists.

fullsizeoutput_100a

Anyway, over the last 3 months once again unable to work, I often go out to our garage and look at my F800GS and wonder if my body will allow me to safely ride again.  I have sold this bike 3 times.  Backed out of the deals every time.  Well, this time she has been sold yet again to a very nice guy from Rhode Island.  This time it’s for real.  If and when I ever ride again, I will need a bike lower than my F8.  Never did I feel this bike was too tall until my legs refuse to hold me up.  I need more time and I haven’t given up the hope of riding.  In my future will it be another BMW 1200GS?  I loved that bike even though I only had a few months before she was totalled.  This bike I can lower it by the ESA.

P90235538_highRes_the-new-bmw-r-1200-g

Life goes on as many say.  I feel so beaten down at times especially since I can’t ride.  We all know riding is like therapy.  My own little world to myself.  I am sad.  As the days get longer, the weather gets nicer…well, you know the feeling.  Moving from Connecticut to Long Island at the end of June. We have a very cute house in Eastport, LI.  Doing some renovations and this is where we will stay.  I love Connecticut to be honest.  I thought I would be able to explore New England more on 2 wheels but never caught a break.

Back to the ocean.  I do miss the water.  Not far from Westhampton Beach.  Anyone coming out to eastern Long Island we have a place for you to crash.  So, no trips planned for now.  I have promised myself once I can ride again I will take a trip somewhere.  When I lived in BC I always had a trip planned.  Miss my old neck of the woods, especially living in this political climate.  I won’t stir that pot.  Hopefully next post will be about my total recovery.  Enjoy the Spring everyone and get out riding.

27 Comments

1. Kevin Brent says:

I know it had to be hard to sell the bike. But, you will ride again. 😉

2. Gregory says:

I first stumbled upon your blog a few years ago when I was looking for appropriate riding gear for my wife. I have been following you intermittently through your trials, tribulations, and exhaltations. Ride again, ride for life. Take a breather if you must, but ride again.

Gregory

3. Thinking of you Leslie x

4. Its tough to part with something you are fond of. But think the possibilities once you’re ready to get back on two wheels again.

Wishing you well so that you can enjoy distant horizons, new faces and memorable experiences in the near future

5. Jackie Boals says:

Poor baby!! Life rolls on….if I could do it…you can too!!! Looking forward to your next post…your next “positive” post!!! You are one of the strongest women I have ever “known”. I have admired you for years…I have your email address, so you can’t get rid of ME!!! Love You!!! Good luck on your projects around your adorable home!

6. curvyroads says:

Hang in there, and I hope things start looking up for you soon.

7. Jay A. says:

I am sorry about all the frustrations, Leslie. Hopefully, everything will get sorted out and you’ll be back on a new bike soon. Ours are still down at the Maryland house and we have not ridden since we moved to Long Island in September. I must have passed through Eastport in November when I took the dogs to play on the beach in East Hampton, so maybe we can meet up again one of these days!

8. Dan Kipper says:

Hey Leslie, sending positive greetings from BC ,Canada (Rosedale). Love reading your posts and perspective. Keep positive, life is a roller coaster. Take Care.

9. Sue Barnes says:

Sorry to hear this Lesley, however, you are an Amazon woman! So, you WILL recover, in time! Ps.When you’re stronger, BMW have brought out a great little 300 cc version…..just saying!

10. Hi Leslie, I have been following your blog for a few years. I have always admired your strength, your openness and your fairness. I bought my first motorcycle after I found your blog, because my dream trip was (and still is) to Prudhoe Bay.
    I was diagnosed wits diabetes, too. Fortunately, in the early stages. I wish you get well as quickly as possible and I hope you’ll be riding soon, grrl!
    Leo

• advgrrl says:

Wow nice to hear from you. Yeah you have to ride Alaska, well worth it and glad you got a bike. I am hoping to ride again and will patiently wait. Thanks for your comment and please let me know if you make it to Prudhoe. What bike to you have?

11. Wonko the Sane says:

The BMW GS300 is worth considering – easier to hold upright and lighter handling could help you get back in the groove sooner. Maybe not so great for two-up touring, but it may be a while before you’re ready for that. When you start to feel ready, begin with local rides – “Let’s go for a ride to see what time it is. Oh, look, it’s Autumn, the leaf-peepers are out!”🙄

• advgrrl says:

lol I am going to wait until I can handle the 1200. Got more bad news today, I have what is called thyroid eye disease. Seeing an eye specialist to hear what this means. Like your idea though.

12. ericfpereira says:

Sure you will ride again. Just have faith in yourself. Get well soon.

13. Jo Maloney says:

Can not imagine how the loss of riding would effect me. Sad for you but I know that you will work your way back. As for me – Dec 1st. Two Heart Attacks – Dec 5th Triple By Pass and a new “Hog” valve. March 28th – back to the Cardiologist one again. Doing assigned rehab religiously but after almost 4 months – still tire easily. Not real conducive to my long distance style of riding. I’ll make it – at 70 it does take a bit longer to heal. Best of Luck an Prayers for your recovery. I know you are tough, and hang in there seems such a trite comment. Best of luck. Regards, Jo

• advgrrl says:

Sorry to hear about your health. You have a great attitude and I know we will both be back in the saddle again. My bike leaves today and the only thing I feel good about is that it will be going to a good guy! Take care of yourself. I’ll be thinking of you

14. zed14 says:

It’s tough to be off the bike for extended times and worry if you’ll ever be able to ride again. Been there.
    All the best and hope to see you on the bike again soon.